MALAGA GAZETTE

Monday, May 09, 2011

KATE McCann has told of her outrage after Portuguese police made her and husband Gerry suspects in the abduction of their daughter Madeleine.


Monday, May 09, 2011 |



The former doctor, 43, also revealed how she smashed a bed in frustration over the handling of the investigation and how detectives attempted to bully her into a murder confession.

In a personal account of the 2007 disappearance of their daughter, who was then aged three, Mrs McCann, of Rothley, Leicestershire, said she and her husband were shocked by the treatment they received from the Portuguese Policia Judiciaria.

Describing one police interrogation in an extract from her book Madeleine she said: “I felt I was being bullied. I assumed the tactics were deliberate – knock her off balance by telling her that her daughter is dead and get her to confess.

“They tried to convince me I’d had a blackout – ‘a loss of memory episode’, I think they called it.

“My denials, answers and pleas fell on deaf ears.

“I was appalled by the treatment we received. Officers walked past us as if we weren’t there. Nobody asked how we were doing.

“Our child had been stolen and I felt as if I didn’t exist.”

Mrs McCann also described how she and her husband felt “completely alone” while searching for Madeleine the day after her disappearance.

She added: “Nobody else, it seemed, was looking for Madeleine. Finally, I erupted. I began to scream, swear and lash out. I kicked an extra bed that had been brought into the apartment and smashed the end right off.”

Mrs McCann also spoke of her rage after police offered her a plea bargain, claiming they promised she and her husband would receive a “lenient sentence” if they admitted Madeleine had died in an accident and they had then disposed of her body.

Madeleine was nearly four when she vanished from her family’s holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on May 3, 2007.


You Might Also Like :


0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...