MALAGA GAZETTE

Monday, December 19, 2011

WRITER who moved to Dorset after falling victim to the property boom in Spain has drawn on his experiences for his first novel.


Monday, December 19, 2011 |



Christopher Doveton-Gerty, 74, was tempted by the warmer climate of the Costa Del Sol back in 2002 only for his dream to turn into a nightmare.
He has now penned a thriller using his own experiences and others he knew who were lured in by the Spanish property boom.
Mr Doveton-Gerty, who has lived in Weymouth and Poundbury and wrote the book while living in West Stafford, said he took the decision to repatriate to the Moorish town of Mijas following the death of his wife nine years ago.
He said: “When I lost my wife I was living in Bath and didn’t really know what to do and I didn’t want to stay there.
“I saw this big shop window in front of me advertising these wonderful villas in Spain and from there it took off and I bought something.
“I had the experience of it not being finished.
“I had to move somewhere else and had the problem of not being able to occupy the property.
“Eventually the developers and the builders went bust and there are people still out there eight years later who haven’t been able to move into their properties.”
Mr Doveton-Gerty’s book The Spanish Dream tells the story of businessman Peter Grant, who encounters corrupt officials and crooked developers in the Spanish property market.
He said: “I have used and adapted my characters from personal experience.
“I know a lot of doctors, consultants and other very intelligent people who wanted to have a home out there and had these terrible experiences.”
Mr Doveton-Gerty said his mentor for the novel was friend and writer Derek Fox, who is already suggesting a sequel and is hoping to pass the book onto contacts in the film and television industry.:Text may be subject to copyright.This blog does not claim copyright to any such text. Copyright remains with the original copyright holder.


You Might Also Like :


0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...